Hello readers,its been a while since my last post.life got busy ..busier?is that even a word?anyways with a new baby and a very active toddler my timetable has completely gone "cuckoo- cuckoo",but here I am trying to write one post at a time ,and I promise video tutorials very soon .
This recipe is a quick fix for lunch boxes and goes great over some rice or with rotis and sides of veggies.
- Toor dal 1 cup
- tomato 2 large chopped
- garlic cloves smashed,whole:4 to 5
- green chillies- 4 to 5
- curry leaves-few springs
- cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- red chili powder-1/2 tsp
- oil-1 tsp
- salt -1 tsp or as per taste
- extract of 2 inch tamarind
- coriander to garnish
mustard seeds- 1/4th tsp
whole red chilies -few
- Clean the lentil and soak in 1:2 ratio that is 1 cup dhal to 2 cups water
- heat oil in a pressure pan .
- add in the cumin seeds let splutter
- add in the garlic ,green chilies and the curry leaves saute for a minute
- now add in the turmeric and the chopped tomatoes,saute for few more minutes until tomatoes turn mushy
- season with salt and red chilli powder
- now to this add the dhal and water let this come to a boil,add in the tamarind paste
- mix everything well and close the lid,and turn the heat to medium low
- let whistle for 5 to 6 times
- heat a pan and add the tempering to 1/2 tsp of heated oil
- once the pressure is settled remove the lid mash the dhal and temper.
- garnish and enjoy.
use cherry tomatoes for a sweeter version of the dhal.
can use asafetida.
leave out the tamarind if your tomatoes are too sour,which is very unlikely if you happen to live in the U.S(I really miss the sour indigenous tomatoes we used to get back in my country-naatu thakaali ...just sharp and tangy ) .hope you enjoy the recipe.
Thankyou for visiting my blog!